The Climate Crisis is here and “change is coming whether you like it or not”
Across 2 days more than 7 million people around the world took to the streets to demand action on the climate crisis. The largest climate action in history.
In the lead up, indigenous youth from the Guardians of the Forest met with Greta Thunberg and other youth leaders in Washington D.C. They had a message for US politicians: “We need more action”
Delegates met Senators and members of Congress including Nancy Pelosi, Jeff Merkley, Raúl Grijalva, Sheldon Whitehouse and the teams of Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris before joining the House Hearing on Climate Change. Jamie Margolin, Co-Founder of Zero Hour called on uniting with indigenous activists in her testimony.
Youth activists spoke to the Committees on Climate Change and Natural Resources. Jasilyn Charger, youth leader of the Lakota Sioux people, demanded that we cannot talk about climate change without talking about the rights of indigenous peoples.
Two days later, Guardians of the Forest youth lead a 250 000 strong march through New York City with Global Strike for Climate. Four million took part globally, on the 27 September a further three million people marched.
“The Fight is collective, that’s why we are looking for thousands of youth because together we are really strong.” Artemisa Xakriabá
Guardians of the Forest featured:
- Artemisa Xakriabá – Xabriabá people, Brazil
- Militza Flaco – Embera people, Panama
- Kynan Tegar – Dayak people, Indonesia
- Marco Grefa – Kichwa people, Ecuador
- Dinamam Tuxá – Tuxá people, Brazil
- Tuntiak Katan – Shuar people, Ecuador
Events featured in the film:
- House Hearing on Climate Change
- Committee on Climate change
- House Committee on Natural Resources: Democrats
Full list US Politicians that were approached by Guardians of the Forest:
- Senator Sheldon Whitehouse
- Senator Kamala Harris
- Senator Jeff Merkley
- Senator Charles E. Schumer
- Senator Ed Markey
- Senator Elizabeth Warren
- Senator Cory Booker
- Senator Joe Manchin
- Representative Nancy Pelosi
- Representative Raúl Grijalva